Corsicana Police Department
• A drunken driver was arrested and taken to jail Tuesday night after hitting a parked car in the 1700 block of West Collin Street.
• A burglar broke into an apartment and stole a variety of items, including some credit and debit cards Monday or Tuesday in the 3000 block of West Collin.
• A woman reported that $75 was stolen from her purse Monday while she was at the Denny’s, 2951 S. Highway 287.
• A man reported that someone stole the exhaust system out of his car Monday while it was parked in a hotel parking lot in the 600 block of Bryants Way.
Navarro County Sheriff’s Office
• Some jewelry was stolen Saturday in a home burglary on South Hopkins in Emhouse.
• More than $6,000 in outdoor gear was stolen in a burglary Saturday from Southeast County Road 3048C near Corsicana. Among the missing items were a Mercury boat motor, two depth finders, life jackets, fishing rods and reels, lures and a tackle box, and a boat prop.
• Some car batteries, four oversized tires and rims, and a boat motor were taken Friday from a building on SE CR 3330 near Kerens.
• A Walther firearm was reported missing or stolen Friday from SE CR 3060 near Kerens.
• Thieves broke out a door window Monday to gain access to a home and steal a 42-inch TV, a satellite box, DVD player, and an Apple iPad from a home on SE 3050 in Mildred.
• Burglars took a 32-inch television, an XBox console and two controllers as well as a slew of games, a Compaq laptop computer, some old sheet music, various family memorabilia, six fishing poles, a brown and pink purse, costume jewelry, some women’s clothing, a silver digital camera, a toolbox, a surround sound system, and a surveillance camera from a home Friday on NW CR 3040 near Navarro Mills.
• A Smith and Wesson handgun was taken Monday from a home on NW 2020 near Corsicana. It was valued at $200.
Corsicana Police Department
- Latest News
City spraying for mosquitoes
The City of Corsicana and the Corsicana/Navarro County Health Department want to get the word out about a pesky warm weather creature — mosquitoes.
Linda Coleman devotes 27 years to Workforce
Imagine if you came the aid of a friend, someone who’d lost their job, their means of support, and you helped them find employment. How warm would the feeling of satisfaction be?
Now imagine that feeling times about 40,000 — and that’s how Linda Coleman must feel after 27 years of helping people find jobs at the Workforce Solutions, North Central Texas.
Pioneer Days gets kids away from electronics, down to nitty-gritty
It’s the hands-on activities that bring kids back each year to enjoy Pioneer Days. Although their everyday lives are about stuff on screens — cell phones, television, video games — Pioneer Days is about getting their hands dirty, and sometimes climbing trees.
City grants tax abatements
The Corsicana City Council granted tax abatements to Guardian Industries and the proposed water park when the group met in regular session Tuesday. Both companies will be given 50 percent abatements for 10 years, and both are proposing sizable investments and the creation of dozens of new jobs.
Former Kerens VFD treasurer arrested for theft
The loss of $2,900 from the Kerens Volunteer Fire Department in May has led to the arrest of the group’s treasurer, Kaell Mullen.
Mullen has been charged with theft of more than $1,500 and less than $20,000 by a public servant, a third-degree felony.
Workshops to be held to review restoration bids
There are three contractor proposals to consider for the proposed restoration of the Navarro County Courthouse, but a decision on the next step in the project is still likely a few weeks away.
Commissioners opened the proposals for the restoration project shortly after the 2 p.m. deadline Tuesday, along with proposals for asbestos abatement in conjunction with the project.
Local Beat 6/19/13
A listing of meetings and events of interest from throughout Navarro County
Nominations underway for annual Daily Sun contest
It’s time to nominate your favorites for the annual “Best of the Best” contest sponsored by the Corsicana Daily Sun.
This year’s contest marks the 17th annual “Best of the Best” competition, a fun way to pay tribute to your favorites in a variety of categories of business, people and life in Navarro County.
10 things to know for Tuesday, June 18
A daily look at things being talked about in the news around the world.
Help available in Corsicana for substance abuse
Penelope had been down a long, dark road ... a back injury at work led to a surgery. Even after her operation, she still had so much pain she was forced to take pain pills.
- More Latest News Headlines
- City spraying for mosquitoes